Calculated items are essentially the text equivalent of calculated fields. In this video, the instructor demonstrates why (and why not) to use calculated items in your PivotTables.
- [Instructor] So in the PivotTable analyze options,…you may have noticed that, in addition to calculated fields,…there's also an option for calculated items.…Now, the difference between the two,…is that calculated fields are built on numerical variables,…while calculated items are built…on non-numerical dimensions or categories.…So, in a nutshell, calculated items…allow you to create new dimensions or categories,…using formulas built on existing dimensions and categories.…So for instance, if you have movie ratings,…like G, PG, PG-13 and R,…and you want to create a new category called Kids,…which is equal to all of the G ratings,…combined with the PG rating data,…you can do that using calculated items.…
Now pro tip, big bold red text here,…don't use calculated items unless you absolutely need to.…I'm going to be honest,…I am not a fan of calculated items at all,…they're finicky, they're dangerous,…in many cases they're not the most efficient way…to accomplish simple tasks.…99.9% of the time,…you're better off simply using the grouping tools…
- Establishing a layer convention and property filters
- Structuring your source data
- How PivotTables actually work
- Number formatting and conditional formatting
- Sorting and grouping options
- Troubleshooting incorrect sorting
- Value summarization and value calculation modes
- Inserting calculated items
- Visualizing data with PivotCharts
- Designing interactive dashboards
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Excel Data-Analysis (2015)with Curt Frye2h 24m Beginner
Part 1: Introduction1m 8s
1. Getting Started
Getting to know IMDb2m 21s
2. PivotTable 101
3. PivotTable Formatting
4. Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
5. Calculated Values, Fields, and Items
6. Visualizing Data with PivotCharts
7. Wrapping Up
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.