Calculated fields are one of the most powerful PivotTable tools available. In this video, the instructor explores some common ways to create new values and calculations based on existing fields.
- [Instructor] Another really important capability…of pivot tables is the option to insert…custom calculated fields.…Calculated fields basically just allow you to create…brand new measures based on any existing…numerical fields.…So in this case, gone into my analyze tab,…into the fields items and sets drop down,…selected calculated field.…And then from there you have this dialogue box…that allows you to give your new field…any name you choose and then define a calculation…based on any existing fields.…
So you'll see your field list right here…within the dialogue box and you can simply…double click items to pull them into the formula.…So in this case I've added a new calculated field…called percent students that's equal…to the student population divided by the total population.…Now a very important pro tip on this slide,…don't calculate your rate metrics, things like…click through rate, cost per click, sales per day,…whatever it might be.…Don't make those calculations in your raw data sheet.…
Use calculated fields to do so.…
- Establishing a layer convention and property filters
- Structuring your source data
- How PivotTables actually work
- Number formatting and conditional formatting
- Sorting and grouping options
- Troubleshooting incorrect sorting
- Value summarization and value calculation modes
- Inserting calculated items
- Visualizing data with PivotCharts
- Designing interactive dashboards
Skill Level Intermediate
Part 1: Introduction1m 8s
1. Getting Started
Getting to know IMDb2m 21s
2. PivotTable 101
3. PivotTable Formatting
4. Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
5. Calculated Values, Fields, and Items
6. Visualizing Data with PivotCharts
7. Wrapping Up
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.