Calculating an investment’s internal rate of return enables you to identify the interest rate at which the investment future cash flows have a net present value of zero. In other words, your formula tells you the discount rate at which you would break even on a given investment. If the IRR formula returns a value greater than the interest rate of risk-free investments, you should take the plunge.
- [Voiceover] Calculating an investments internal rate of…return, enables you to identify the interest rate,…or discount rate, at which an investment's future…cash flows have a net present value of zero.…In other word's, your formula tells you the discount rate…at which you would break even, on a given investment.…If the IRR formula returns a value greater than…the interest rate generated by risk-free investments,…such as Treasury bills or municipal bonds…that are very highly rated,…then you should probably do the project.…If not, then you should pass on the opportunity…and accept the returns from your risk-free investment.…
In this movie, I will show you how to calculate…the internal rate of return…of a series of regular cash flows,…and I will use the IRR_03_06 sample workbook.…You can find that in the chapter three folder…of the exercise files collection.…This workbook contains two different sets of cash flows.…The first is for investment one.…And we see an initial outlay of $100,000.…That's a negative number because it's an outflow.…
- Analyzing loans, payments, and interest
- Calculating depreciation
- Determining values and rates of return
- Calculating bond coupon dates and security durations
- Calculating security prices and yields
- Calculating prices and yields of securities with odd periods
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Analyzing Loans, Payments, and Interest
2. Calculating Depreciation
3. Determining Values and Rates of Return
4. Calculating Bond Coupon Dates and Security Durations
5. Calculating Security Prices and Yields
6. Calculating Prices and Yields of Securities with Odd Periods
Additional resources1m 24s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.