Excel has many functions that let you evaluate your investments. If you buy a bond at a set price and receive a payment when the instrument matures, you are said to be fully invested. If the bond’s prospectus doesn’t list the investment’s annual interest rate, you can find it by using the INTRATE function.
- [Voiceover] Excel includes many functions…that you can use to evaluate your investments.…For example, if you buy a bond at a set price…and receive a payment when the interest matures,…you are said to be fully invested in that security.…If the bond's prospectus doesn't list…the investment's annual interest rate,…you can find it by using the INTRATE function.…I'll demonstrate how to perform that calculation.…My sample file is "InterestRate_05_02",…which you can find in the Chapter Five folder…of your exercise files collection.…We're going to need five bits of information…for this calculation.…
The first is the settlement date in C4.…That's the day you actually take possession of the security.…Next is the maturity date.…That's when the instrument matures,…and then a couple of weeks later you get…your principal plus any accumulated interest.…Next is the investment.…That's what it cost to buy into this particular security.…The redemption value, which is the amount…you get at the end and that's all inclusive.…Then, basis is how you calculate…
- Analyzing loans, payments, and interest
- Calculating depreciation
- Determining values and rates of return
- Calculating bond coupon dates and security durations
- Calculating security prices and yields
- Calculating prices and yields of securities with odd periods
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Analyzing Loans, Payments, and Interest
2. Calculating Depreciation
3. Determining Values and Rates of Return
4. Calculating Bond Coupon Dates and Security Durations
5. Calculating Security Prices and Yields
6. Calculating Prices and Yields of Securities with Odd Periods
Additional resources1m 24s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.