Join Chris Dutton for an in-depth discussion in this video How PivotTables actually work, part 2, part of Excel PivotTables Part 1: Mastering PivotTables and PivotCharts.
- [Instructor] So to wrap up this Pivot Table 101 section,…I wanted to include one lecture to talk about…how pivot tables are actually working.…So in other words when you pull back that curtain,…what exactly is Excel doing behind the scenes…to populate these values?…So step one is about detecting and evaluating coordinates.…And by coordinates I mean the row labels,…the columns, or measures, and any filters…that you've defined in a pivot table view.…So in this case, we're interested in knowing…how this number 973 was calculated.…
We first start by looking at the coordinates…that generate it.…So in this case the state is Arizona.…The measure is total population.…And the filter includes all ages.…So those are our coordinates, and given those coordinates,…Excel then jumps into the source data…and it isolates only the cells that meet…those exact criteria.…So in this case there are five individual cells or values…for the state of Arizona for all ages.…
Now once Excel knows which cells meet those criteria,…step two is about applying any arithmetic.…
- Establishing a layer convention and property filters
- Structuring your source data
- How PivotTables actually work
- Number formatting and conditional formatting
- Sorting and grouping options
- Troubleshooting incorrect sorting
- Value summarization and value calculation modes
- Inserting calculated items
- Visualizing data with PivotCharts
- Designing interactive dashboards
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Excel Data-Analysis (2015)with Curt Frye2h 24m Beginner
Part 1: Introduction1m 8s
1. Getting Started
Getting to know IMDb2m 21s
2. PivotTable 101
3. PivotTable Formatting
4. Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
5. Calculated Values, Fields, and Items
6. Visualizing Data with PivotCharts
7. Wrapping Up
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.