Grouping options allow you to combine or aggregate data however you choose. In this video, Chris guides you through some of the most common automatic and manual grouping techniques.
- [Instructor] Another powerful pivot table tool…is the ability to group data together.…And what this lets you do is define…custom collections, or groups of values,…and analyze them as a bucket rather…than individual items.…So to show you an example, let's start by…only showing movies with the word star.…And here you can see that we have…a number of films in the Star Trek series,…and a number of films in the Star Wars series.…So right now, our data's at the title level,…meaning that these revenue and budget numbers…that we're looking at are specific…to each individual title within those groups.…
Now, if we wanted to lump or group those together,…and analyze them at a broader level,…what I can do is actually just select…the fields that I'm interested in.…Let's start with these six individual…Star Wars titles, and I can either go into…my Pivot Table Tool Analyze tab,…or you can find the Group pane,…or I can simply right click and choose Group option.…And when I do this, it's a little bit…confusing at first, but essentially what Excel did…
- Establishing a layer convention and property filters
- Structuring your source data
- How PivotTables actually work
- Number formatting and conditional formatting
- Sorting and grouping options
- Troubleshooting incorrect sorting
- Value summarization and value calculation modes
- Inserting calculated items
- Visualizing data with PivotCharts
- Designing interactive dashboards
Skill Level Intermediate
Part 1: Introduction1m 8s
1. Getting Started
Getting to know IMDb2m 21s
2. PivotTable 101
3. PivotTable Formatting
4. Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
5. Calculated Values, Fields, and Items
6. Visualizing Data with PivotCharts
7. Wrapping Up
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.