Join Chris Dutton for an in-depth discussion in this video Getting to know IMDb, part of Excel PivotTables Part 1: Mastering PivotTables and PivotCharts.
- [Instructor] I want to take a minute or two…and talk about the IMDB movie database…since we will be working with this file…for the first few chapters of the course.…If you're not familiar with IMDB, it's an acronym…that stands for the Internet Movie Data Base…and it contains all sorts of information about…movie titles released around the world.…So we'll be looking at a cut of the IMDB data…for the first several sections, which gives us…movie titles, attributes, budgets,…and revenues from 1920 to 2015.…
And this is a great file to use to practice…pivot table concepts because it contains a number…of interesting dimensions and measures.…Now the way to think about dimensions, it's kind…of those columns that you can use to categorize…your data, to roll it up or break it down…in interesting ways.…So in this case our dimensions include…the movie title, the release date,…whether it was color or black and white,…what genre it falls into, the language, country,…rating, and lead actor and director name.…The measures, which are the quantitative fields,…
- Establishing a layer convention and property filters
- Structuring your source data
- How PivotTables actually work
- Number formatting and conditional formatting
- Sorting and grouping options
- Troubleshooting incorrect sorting
- Value summarization and value calculation modes
- Inserting calculated items
- Visualizing data with PivotCharts
- Designing interactive dashboards
Skill Level Intermediate
Part 1: Introduction1m 8s
1. Getting Started
Getting to know IMDb2m 21s
2. PivotTable 101
3. PivotTable Formatting
4. Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
5. Calculated Values, Fields, and Items
6. Visualizing Data with PivotCharts
7. Wrapping Up
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.