Join Bill Shander for an in-depth discussion in this video Find the story in your data, part of Data Visualization: Storytelling.
- [Instructor] If you're a data analyst…you're familiar and comfortable…rooting through data looking for patterns…and trends in outliers, but are you comfortable…thinking about the stories you might…be telling with that information?…And for those of you who aren't data people,…even digging through the data itself might seem…a bit overwhelming.…In this video I wanna show you just a bit about…how to work with data to tease out…the stories, whether you're a data analyst…or just a regular person.…To do this we're gonna be looking at some real data.…There are a million and one great resources…for data out there, first I would recommend…that you work with data you find interesting,…if you're doing this on the side especially,…hopefully if you're working with data…for your organization you find that interesting.…
I like looking at a lot of social issues data…and I'm starting this exercise thinking…about one of the big issues of the day…which is income distribution.…It's a major component of every…political conversation around the world these days.…
Join data visualization expert Bill Shander as he guides you through the process of turning "facts and figures" into "story" to engage and fulfill our human expectation for information. This course is intended for anyone who works with data and has to communicate it to others, whether a researcher, a data analyst, a consultant, a marketer, or a journalist. Bill shows you how to think about, and craft, stories from data by examining many compelling stories in detail.
- Creating a narrative structure for data
- Applying narrative to data
- Identifying what you want to say with the data
- Analyzing what your data is saying
- Determining what your audience needs to hear
- Leveraging tables, charts, and visuals
- Ensuring your narrative provides context and direction