Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Extracting specific data with LEFT and RIGHT, part of Excel 2011 for the Mac: Advanced Formulas and Functions.
- If you want to extract data…from the left or right side of text cells,…there are two functions, actually called Left and Right,…that will help us get the job done pretty quickly.…Let's imagine that in column C…we've got some part numbers here,…and like some part numbers,…maybe the last three characters refer to…a location as to where the part was made,…or possibly it's the color,…but we need those last three characters on the right side.…Equal right, left parenthesis.…Here's the cell in question, comma, three.…
The three rightmost characters.…We're expecting to see 904, and that's what we get.…Double-click to copy down the column,…then you can see all the other results as well,…and once we see it, pretty obvious, pretty apparent.…Same kind of situation might occur here,…on these code numbers that we're looking at here.…We need to extract two characters from the left.…Equal left, looking at the data here, comma, two.…That's it, the number is 26.…There we are.…And in column F here, we'd like to extract the ZIP code.…
- Using absolute, relative, and mixed references
- Using the Formula Builder
- Converting formulas to values
- Creating 3D formulas to gather data from multiple sheets
- Creating and expanding the use of nested IF statements
- Looking up information with VLOOKUP, MATCH, and INDEX
- Using the power functions: COUNTIF, SUMIF, and AVERAGEIF
- Analyzing data with the statistical functions
- Calculating payment
- Performing basic math
- Determining dates and times
- Editing text with functions
- Analyzing data with arrays
Skill Level Advanced
Excel for Mac 2011 Essential Trainingwith Curt Frye6h 32m Beginner
1. Formula and Function Tools
2. Formula and Function Tips and Shortcuts
3. IF and Related Functions
4. Lookup and Reference Functions
5. Statistical Functions
6. Power Functions
7. Selected Financial Functions
8. Selected Math Functions
9. Date and Time Functions
10. Text Functions
11. Array Formulas and Functions
12. Reference Functions
13. Information Functions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.