Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Extending formula capabilities with arrays, part of Excel 2011 for the Mac: Mastering Formulas and Functions.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Excel has a specialized kind of formula…called an Array formula, and there are certain functions…that are referred to as Array Functions.…They're a bit tricky to describe without an example.…In this worksheet called Arrays,…we've got some data in Columns B and C,…Units Sold, Unit Price and in Column D…we've got formulas simply multiplying the two together,…and we're tabulating a total at the bottom.…Now, it's quite likely you would want to see…those interim subtotals there.…On the other hand there could be other situations…where you simply want to perform these mulitplications…one by one, and get a total.…
Now, if you try this with the Sum function,…let's take all of these…times all of these.…If you press return, we don't get an answer here.…We'd like to be able to do that.…It doesn't work.…However, if we really want Excel to do these back and forth,…in other words, B two times C two, hold onto that,…B three times C three,…do all those calculations, add them all up,…we can achieve this is if we press Control Shift Return.…
- Using absolute, relative, and mixed references
- Using the Formula Builder
- Converting formulas to values
- Creating 3D formulas to gather data from multiple sheets
- Creating and expanding the use of nested IF statements
- Looking up information with VLOOKUP, MATCH, and INDEX
- Using the power functions: COUNTIF, SUMIF, and AVERAGEIF
- Analyzing data with the statistical functions
- Calculating payment
- Performing basic math
- Determining dates and times
- Editing text with functions
- Analyzing data with arrays
Skill Level Advanced
Excel for Mac 2011 Essential Trainingwith Curt Frye6h 32m Beginner
Excel 2013: Managing and Analyzing Datawith Dennis Taylor2h 2m Intermediate
1. Formula and Function Tools
2. Formula and Function Tips and Shortcuts
3. IF and Related Functions
4. Lookup and Reference Functions
5. Statistical Functions
6. Power Functions
7. Selected Financial Functions
8. Selected Math Functions
9. Date and Time Functions
10. Text Functions
11. Array Formulas and Functions
12. Reference Functions
13. Information Functions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.