Review the format of the MOS exam. Understand the time allotment for the exam, how to register for hte exam and purchase exam vouchers, how to find a testing center
- [Voiceover] Let's talk about the exam format and the time allotment. The time allotment is 50 minutes. You should be able to complete the Excel 2013 MOS Exam in 40 minutes or less. That will give you 10 minutes to go back and review all of the tasks that you completed, to make sure that you did them correctly. And you can also compare your document with the sample final document in the exam. There will be 20-25 tasks on your exam. It is a project-based exam, and for most of the tasks, unless it's a formula, it doesn't matter how you perform the task.
In the end, your document should be comparable to the sample final document. For most of the tasks, you will have the opportunity to work on a document that has already been created. You may then be asked to apply formatting to the document, insert graphics, or create formulas. It is a pass/fail exam. To pass, you must have a score of at least 700, and that is 700 out of a possible 1000 points. When you pass the exam, you will receive a very nice certificate from Microsoft to hang on your wall or on the fridge, along with a welcome letter.
If you do not pass the first time, you can retake the test within 30 days. Next, I want to give you information about purchasing your vouchers. If you register at certiport.com, you'll be able to purchase your vouchers for the exam. You'll also be able to search for the closest testing center, and you'll find additional training resources available to you. Here is the Certiport home page. At the top of the window, this is where you can register as a new test candidate.
And there's a section that's dedicated especially to test candidates. Here, you can locate a testing center, you can access additional preparation materials, and you can review the exam policies. Please make sure and review the exam policies before you take your exam. You can purchase vouchers for single exams, or vouchers that have a re-take attached to them. The single exam vouchers are around $100, the exam vouchers that have a re-take attached are usually $20 more, but it's well worth the investment.
If you don't happen to pass the exam the first time, you can re-take the exam within 30 days at no cost to you. As far as finding a testing center, after you've created your account on Certiport.com, you'll be able to use the site to search for the closest center. On the Certiport site, you can also schedule your exam online. My final words of wisdom are: Show up early for the exam, and be sure to bring your photo ID. If you don't have a photo ID with you, you're not going to be allowed to take the exam.
Disclaimer: Microsoft does not produce, provide, or endorse this video training course.
The course first explores the MOS certification program, its cost, and its format. Jennifer then walks through all of the Excel certification objectives in detail. She includes free practice files so you can follow along as she demonstrates each skill. There are challenges to test your skills at the end of almost every chapter, and the full-length, 50-minute practice exam at the end of the course will ensure you're ready for the real exam.
- Preparing for the exam
- Understanding the registration process
- Creating new Excel workbooks and worksheets
- Formatting data
- Inserting columns and rows
- Moving data
- Applying conditional formatting
- Creating tables
- Applying formulas and functions
- Summarizing data
- Creating charts
- Taking a full-length practice exam