Learn how to perform an exact match equivalent of the VLOOKUP function in Get & Transform. The equivalent would be a left outer join, and Oz shows how to make it happen.
- [Instructor] Now it's time to address everybody's…favorite Excel function, the VLOOKUP.…How do you do that in get and transform?…We're going to find out right now,…and if you want to follow along, pull up the exercise…file called VLOOKUP false.…Here is a typical VLOOKUP challenge.…I've got the active team's data…and I would like to fill it in by retrieving…the team colors and the number of players…from the all teams data set.…
I don't care about the city…and I already have the team data.…I just need those two columns.…How do you do that in VLOOKUP?…We're going to do this with a left outer join.…This is going to be beautiful, check it out.…We got to create two queries.…Data.…From table.…Okay.…Let's rename this query.…Active.…
And then load this as a connection only.…Load.…Beautiful.…Now we need our all teams query.…Data.…From table.…Okay.…Let's rename this all teams.…Close and load this as a connection only.…And we load this as a connection only…because we didn't do anything with this data.…
And if we did load it to the workbook,…
AuthorOz du Soleil
- What is Get & Transform?
- Querying data
- Working with columns
- Using formulas
- Pivoting and unpivoting data
- Grouping data
- Appending a query
- Merging/combining data with joins
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Get & Transform?
2. Working with Queries
3. Working with Columns
4. Working with Formulas
5. Pivoting and Unpivoting Data
Group data2m 31s
7. Appending a Query
8. Merging Data with Joins
9. Putting It All Together and Applying Your Learning
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.