Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Error-checking options with Convert to Number, part of Cleaning Up Your Excel 2010 Data.
Excel has built-in error checking tools that help you uncover nonstandard…entries, for example, like the text we're seeing in Column B--that actually is text.…Now, the error checking that exists in Excel might be turned off--maybe someone…else has been using your computer. maybe from the day that Excel was set up.…These were not turned on.…We should know where they are and what they can do for you.…Let's go to the File menu and then choose Options.…If you are using Excel 2007, you want to choose the Office button and then Excel…Options. And at that point, you'll be looking at the same kind of screen.…
Then go to Formulas along the left-hand side there, and here are the boxes that I…was mentioning here.…And it looks as if, in this example here, numbers formatted as text or…preceded by an apostrophe.…These have been turned off.…Now maybe you did that, maybe someone else did it a different time.…Notice that even though these are called error checking rules, not all of them…represent errors, and the more familiar you have become with Excel, the more you…
- Moving or inserting rows and columns of data with a simple drag
- Using Text to Columns
- Harnessing the Find and Replace command to replace data at the character level
- Dealing with special characters and wildcards during search
- Converting dates with text functions
- Converting text data to values/numbers
- Checking and correcting spelling mistakes
- Splitting data into multiple columns via the Text to Columns feature
- Combining data from different columns via concatenation
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: Where can I learn more about Excel formulas?
A: Discover more on this topic by visiting <a href="../../../discover/excel-formulas">Excel formulas on lynda.com</a>.