Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Determining frequency distributions with FREQUENCY, part of Excel 2010: Advanced Formulas and Functions.
A commonly used statistical measure is what we call a frequency or…frequency distribution.…In this list of salaries--we've got hundreds of them--we might want to see a…breakout based on an arbitrary list, for example, as we see in column D every 10,000.…In column E, what we would like to get is a count of how many of these salaries…are below 10,000, up to and including 10,000 in this cell; and in this cell, those…salaries above 10,000 up to and including 20,000; and so on.…
I'd emphasize again the fact that this list here is arbitrary;…they don't have to be equally spaced.…They could be every 5,000, or they could be an unusual interval.…But we want our results to go into all of these cells, and we've scoped out the…range of salaries here that indicates the complete entries. =FREQUENCY;…there it is.…Tab it into place. And the first entry here is all of these salaries. To make this faster,…I'm going to click in cell B2, hold down the Shift key, and press Ctrl+Down Arrow.…
It goes because all the way down to row 621. Comma. The cells that we are looking at…
- Referencing, copying, updating, and converting formulas
- Using the logical functions and creating compound logic tests
- Searching for and matching data based on specific criteria
- Reconfiguring cell data using text functions
- Calculating dates, times, and days of the week
- Analyzing mathematical and financial data
- Using the power functions, COUNTIFS, SUMIFS, and AVERAGEIFS
- Working with rounding functions
- Returning cell references
Skill Level Advanced
1. Formula and Function Tips and Shortcuts
2. Formula and Function Tools
3. IF and Related Functions
4. Lookup and Reference Functions
5. Power Functions
6. Statistical Functions
7. Date Functions
8. Math Functions
9. Array Formulas and Functions
10. Text Functions
11. Financial Functions
12. Information Functions
13. Reference Functions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.