Join Ron Davis for an in-depth discussion in this video Data Analysis Expressions (DAX), part of Microsoft Business Intelligence Stack Essential Training.
…DAX, DAX is the language that we use when we just created these calculated columns,…such as heres unit price minus discount or the calculated feel.…If I click in this cell and…I go insert function, I can come through and pick whatever function I want.…Look at logical.…There's our standard logicals.…And come down to all.…And if I drill down, going to double click Calculate.…
Now Intelisense pops up and tries to help me.…I have Calculate here, and then I'm going to insert an expression.…Actually, I'm not going to, that's the next thing you would do,…which is why this is bolded.…And then, comma Filter1, comma Filter2, and then the ellipses, on and on.…I point out Calculate, even though this is just an introduction to just a touch on…DAX because Calculate is perhaps the most…powerful expression or function there is in all of DAX.…It's something, when you get more into DAX,…you absolutely want to take a look at.…
Calculate is similar to the I, if function over in Excel.…What it gives you the ability to do, is to add expressions that we just did,…
- Working with data sources and data views in SQL
- Understanding the star and snowflake database schemas
- Working with the SQL 2012 semantic model (aka tabular mode)
- Using Data Analysis Expressions (DAX)
- Using Excel Web Parts to connect to spreadsheets
- Building dashboards with key performance indicators (KPIs) and reports
- Understanding the Microsoft data-mining process
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Microsoft Business Intelligence Stackwith Ron Davis43m 39s Intermediate
1. The Traditional Multidimensional Model
2. The New Tabular Model
3. Basic Power Pivot
4. SharePoint Excel Services
5. Basic PerformancePoint
6. SharePoint Visio Services
7. Data Mining and Predictive Analytics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.