Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Custom date formatting, part of Excel 2013: Working with Dates and Times.
…If the various built-in date formats, the standard date formats…don't work for you, remember, you can design your own layout.…Look at the dates in column b here.…There's nothing else in column b except those dates.…And the actual heading.…You click column b.…Press Ctrl one to go to format cells.…Clicking date we see the standard formats, referred to in…the previous movie, but what if you want your own?…If you pick one of these.…And then jump to custom, you will see a display…in this area right here using Ms and Ds and Ys.…
If you happen to have picked one that also includes a date…you might see a date you might see an H and an…MM also, so we might be getting here by removing the remaining…portion of this, focus just on the letters m, d and y.…A single m will put in the monthly number,…whether it's a single or a two digit month.…Same thing is true with d that'll put in either a two digit or single digit day.…YY means a two digit year, so that certainly is an option.…But you can use a combination of Ms and Ds and Ys.…
- Understanding how Excel records and stores dates and times
- Looking at standard date and time entry options and acceptable alternatives
- Using the TODAY and NOW functions
- Customizing date formats
- Using keyboard shortcuts
- Formatting time for hours over 24
- Calculating differences across dates and times
- Calculating the day of the week
- Working with holidays
- Validating dates
- Converting formatted dates to usable data
Skill Level Intermediate
1. The Excel Date and Time Systems
2. Creating Date and Time Entries
Instant date and time entry1m 28s
3. Date and Time Formatting
4. Date and Time Functions
5. Calculating with Dates and Times
6. Using Dates and Times with Excel Commands
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.