Join Curt Frye for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a subroutine or function, part of Learning VBA in Excel.
When you read about VBA programming, you might see the writers refer to…subroutines and functions.…Even though some authors use the two term synonymously,…they actually mean different things.…The generic name for both subroutines and functions is a procedure.…So what's the difference between a subroutine and a function?…At the most basic level, the difference is that a function returns a value, such…as in a formula, and the subroutine doesn't. Take, for example, the SUM worksheet…function, which adds a set of values together.…In this case, if I were to type =sum(C7:C11), I would get the sum of the numbers…from cells C7 to C11.…
So sum is a function.…If you create a function in a VBA code module, you can use that function in your workbook.…By contrast, a subroutine doesn't return a value.…That's not to say you can't affect cells or generate other output using a…subroutine, certainly you can.…But it does mean that you can't refer to a subroutine in a worksheet formula.…You create a subroutine by going into the Visual Basic Editor, and creating a code module.…
- Working in the Visual Basic Editor
- Adding code to a macro
- Creating, exporting, and deleting code modules
- Declaring and using variables
- Managing variable scope
- Defining arrays
- Managing workbooks and worksheets with VBA
- Repeating tasks with loops
- Debugging VBA code
- Cutting, copying, and pasting cell data
- Running and triggering event procedures
Skill Level Advanced
Excel 2016: Power Query (Get & Transform)with Oz du Soleil1h 49m Intermediate
1. Introducing Visual Basic for Applications (VBA)
2. Defining Variables, Constants, and Calculations
3. Adding Logic to Your VBA Code
4. Debugging Your VBA Code
5. Managing Workbook Elements and Data in VBA
6. Adding Advanced Elements to Your Workbook
7. Using Excel Events in Your VBA Code
8. Putting It All Together
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.