Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Counting the number of unique items in a list using an array formula, part of Excel 2011 for the Mac: Managing and Analyzing Data.
- In this workbook we're looking at a worksheet…called CountingUniqueEntries.…A bit of valuable information in some lists is…how many different entries do we have in a certain column?…The question comes up often in a different guise.…For example, you might say…how many different Buildings do we have in this list here?…How many different Departments do we have?…One of these years I'd like to see a function called Unique.…Let's count the number of unique entries…in Column C, for example.…I'm going to insert a new row above Row 1…simply by right clicking Row 1 and selecting Insert.…
The function I'm about to use is unusual.…It's a combination of functions actually,…and it's what's called an array formula.…This is covered in more depth…in another course in this series,…Excel 2011 for the Mac Formulas and Functions.…I'll zoom in here a bit,…and write this unusual function here in Cell C1.…Now before beginning, I need to know precisely…how many lines are in this list,…so I'll double click the bottom edge…of any of the cells in Column C,…
- Multiple-key sorting
- Sorting columns left-to-right
- Filtering columns
- Creating a top-ten list with values or percentages
- Using Advanced Filter for complex filters
- Setting up subtotals
- Using the Remove Duplicates command
- Using SUMIF, COUNTIF, and related functions
- Working with the database functions, such as DSUM and DMAX
Skill Level Intermediate
Financial Literacy: Reading Financial Reportswith Rudolph Rosenberg1h 25m Appropriate for all
Excel for Mac 2011 Essential Trainingwith Curt Frye6h 32m Beginner
1. Sorting Data
2. Filtering Data
3. Advanced Filter
4. Creating Automatic Subtotals in Sorted Lists
5. Eliminating Duplicate Data
6. Data Analysis Tools
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.