Join Curt Frye for an in-depth discussion in this video Connecting to an external data source, part of Excel 2016: Pivot Tables in Depth.
- Excel 2016 enables you to build pivot tables from…data found both inside and outside the workbook…where you want to create the pivot table.…If you want to create a pivot table from a…data source you either can't or…don't want to import into your workbook,…you can create a connection to that data source…and work with it in place.…In this movie, I will show you how to create…a connection to an outside data source,…which is another Excel workbook, in this case.…My base file is the external Excel workbook,…and you can find that in the Chapter One folder…of the exercise files collection.…
The Excel workbook we're connecting to…is called OutsideSource.xlsx,…and that's also in the Chapter One folder.…To create a pivot table…based on an external data source,…click the Insert tab of the ribbon,…and then click Pivot Table.…Doing so displays the…Create Pivot Table dialog box,…and from there select the…Use an External Data Source option button.…That activates the Choose Connection button,…which you can click,…to display the Existing Connections dialog box.…
- Formatting data for use in a PivotTable
- Creating a new PivotTable
- Connecting to data sources
- Consolidating data from multiple data sources
- Creating calculated fields
- Summarizing field data
- Sorting and filtering PivotTables
- Working with Excel slicers
- Formatting PivotTables with styles and formats
- Applying conditional formats
- Creating PivotCharts
- Printing PivotTables
- Running macros
- Creating a PivotTable using the data model
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Creating and Pivoting PivotTables
2. Summarizing PivotTable Data
3. Sorting and Filtering PivotTable Data
4. Formatting PivotTables
5. Applying Conditional Formats to PivotTables
6. Creating and Manipulating PivotCharts
7. Printing PivotTables
8. Manipulating PivotTables
Running an Excel macro6m 23s
9. Creating PivotTables Using the Data Model
Next steps1m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.