It's important that every campaign has unique tracking applied to the URL. Managing this at scale is difficult, unless you know how to CONCATENATE with Excel.
- [Instructor] In order to track the…performance of your marketing campaigns…you need to add tracking parameters.…Each campaign needs its own unique tracking.…So adding these can be a pain,…unless you know concatenation.…If you'd like to follow along,…exercise file 4.2, Concatenating…multiple URL parameters.…This is an example of tracking you…would add to the end of the URL.…If you see here, there are a bunch…of different parts, utm_source,…utm_medium and utm_campaign.…What you put here is what shows up…in Google Analytics.…
So to break this down,…so you have the URL, that's where…you're driving the traffic from this campaign.…And then utm_source is a given parameter that Google…Analytics and other analytics platforms uses.…And utm_source is a fixed parameter,…but Facebook is really whatever you…want to put here.…And I put Facebook because this is a…Facebook campaign, but this could be…Twitter, Google, LinkedIn, whatever…advertising platform you're running on.…Utm_medium is another fixed parameter,…but then social is the channel that…
Michael begins with the basics, showing how to work with marketing data sources and explaining basic formulas for analysis. Next, he walks through how to build a data-driven marketing plan, including mapping out your marketing funnel, reviewing volume vs. cost tradeoff, and running A/B testing. Michael shows how to analyze a campaign's performance, working with PivotTables, charts, and dashboards. Finally, he demonstrates how to set up marketing campaigns in bulk, including manipulating text for ad copy generation and automating the most boring, repetitive tasks with macros.
- Cleaning up data formatting
- Using formulas for analysis
- Building a data-driven marketing plan
- Top-down vs. bottom-up marketing plans
- Running A/B tests
- Analyzing campaign performance
- Plotting data visually
- Building report templates and dashboards
- Building bulksheets for bulk campaigns on AdWords and Facebook