Join Bill Shander for an in-depth discussion in this video Compare and contrast, part of Data Visualization Storytelling Essentials.
- [Man] Stories are at their heart…almost always about comparing and contrasting things…and often about how things connect to each other…because the key component of every story…is ultimately about the transformation of a key character…and what he or she goes through to achieve a goal.…Remember our definition from earlier.…We're always evaluating at least a binary choice…comparing what ifs and looking at the why's.…What decisions were made along the way?…What connection can we make between those decisions…and outcomes…and what connections did our character make…to end up where she is?…What if Luke doesn't succeed in his training with Yoda?…Does the world come to some horrific end?…Often, the options in fictional stories…aren't presented as options…so much as they are the alternate reality…that we might wish the characters had adhered to…to avoid the disasters we have to witness them experiencing,…cringing all the while.…
And in documentary and journalistic stories,…we're often confronted with comparisons and contrasts…
Join data visualization expert Bill Shander as he guides you through the process of turning "facts and figures" into "story" to engage and fulfill our human expectation for information. This course is intended for anyone who works with data and has to communicate it to others, whether a researcher, a data analyst, a consultant, a marketer, or a journalist. Bill shows you how to think about, and craft, stories from data by examining many compelling stories in detail.
- Creating a narrative structure for data
- Applying narrative to data
- Identifying what you want to say with the data
- Analyzing what your data is saying
- Determining what your audience needs to hear
- Leveraging tables, charts, and visuals
- Ensuring your narrative provides context and direction