Oz du Soleil addresses the common need to bring two data sets together into one by stacking them up—formally called appending data. But the additional challenge is how to deal with it when the column headers don't match. See how easily this is done in Get
- Now I'm going to show you what happens when we try…to append the data sets that have mismatched headers.…Here we have two data sets that represent two sessions…of mandatory fund that our company hosted,…and we would like one big list to find out…who participated.…But notice, the department column names are mismatched.…In session one, department is abbreviated,…and in session two department is fully spelled out.…Let's create queries and see what happens.…The data sets are already in tables.…
With my cursor inside the session one data set,…go to from table,…close and load as a connection only,…load it,…and notice on the right side, the session one query…is loaded as a connection only.…Let's make the session two query.…Select a data set,…from table.…Here's our data.…Close and load it as a connection only.…
Now let's do the append.…Let's go to data.…New query.…Combine queries.…Append.…Let's put session one on top,…session two on the bottom.…Okay.…Notice, we have a D-E-P-T column and a department column.…Append did not like that.…
AuthorOz du Soleil
- What is Get & Transform?
- Querying data
- Working with columns
- Using formulas
- Pivoting and unpivoting data
- Grouping data
- Appending a query
- Merging/combining data with joins
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Get & Transform?
2. Working with Queries
3. Working with Columns
4. Working with Formulas
5. Pivoting and Unpivoting Data
Group data2m 31s
7. Appending a Query
8. Merging Data with Joins
9. Putting It All Together and Applying Your Learning
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.