Join Curt Frye for an in-depth discussion in this video Changing the data field number format, part of Excel 2016: Pivot Tables in Depth.
- When you create a PivotTable,…Excel displays the values in the data fields…without any formatting.…When you look at numbers in the 100s and below…the lack of commas and other formatting…doesn't really matter.…But when you add those values…in the subtotal or grand total cell…or you have large values like we do here,…the lack of 1,000s separators…makes the values harder for humans to process.…You can make your data easier to read…by changing the data fields number format.…I'll show you how to do that…and I will use data format Excel workbook…which you can find in the chapter four folder…of your exercise file collection.…
This PivotTable contains data…and I have values such as 94910 and 90005…but those values are hard to read.…It's hard just at a glance to know…that I'm dealing with a number between…10,000 and 100,000.…And when I look at Grand Totals…and larger numbers especially one with repeating digits,…like the Cambridge shuttle for 2014.…It can be difficult to figure out the magnitude of a value.…
Is it over a million?…
- Identify how to format data for use in a PivotTable.
- Discover how to create a new PivotTable.
- Define how to connect to data sources.
- Evaluate and consolidate data from multiple data sources.
- Identify how to create calculated fields.
- Summarize field data.
- Review PivotTable sorting.
- Review PivotTable filters.
- Discover how to work with Excel slicers.
- Recall how to format PivotTables with styles and formats.
- Assess how to build PivotCharts.
- Assess how to run macros.
- Evaluate how to create a PivotTable using the data model.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Creating and Pivoting PivotTables
2. Summarizing PivotTable Data
3. Sorting and Filtering PivotTable Data
4. Formatting PivotTables
5. Applying Conditional Formats to PivotTables
6. Creating and Manipulating PivotCharts
7. Printing PivotTables
8. Manipulating PivotTables
Running an Excel macro6m 23s
9. Creating PivotTables Using the Data Model
Next steps1m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.