One straightforward way to calculate the value of a bond is to estimate the bond’s yield given the investment’s conditions, such as price, coupon rate, and time to maturity. In Excel, you can calculate a bond’s yield, perhaps not surprisingly, by using the YIELD function. The YIELD function provides a simplified look at bonds.
- [Instructor] One straight forward way to calculate…the value of a bond is to estimate the bond's yield…given the investment's conditions.…Those can include price, coupon rate, and time to maturity.…In Excel, you can calculate a bond's yield,…perhaps not surprisingly, by using the yield function.…I will demonstrate how to perform this calculation.…And my sample file is YieldWithPeriodicInterest_05_10.…That's the file that you can find in the Chapter 5 folder…of your exercise files collection.…Just to review, the arguments that we need…for this calculation:…First we have the Settlement Date, that's in B3.…
And that's the date that you take…possession of the security.…Maturity Date is the date the investment ends,…and any remaining interest and your principal's returned.…Then we have Percent Coupon,…that is the amount of interest paid…every time a coupon is issued.…Price is the amount you're being asked to pay…per redemption value, which is in cell B7.…Typically that's $100, but it might be different.…So you should always check to see what the actual value is.…
- Analyzing loans, payments, and interest
- Calculating depreciation
- Determining values and rates of return
- Calculating bond coupon dates and security durations
- Calculating security prices and yields
- Calculating prices and yields of securities with odd periods
- Analyzing simulation results
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Analyzing Loans, Payments, and Interest
2. Calculating Depreciation
3. Determining Values and Rates of Return
4. Calculating Bond Coupon Dates and Security Durations
5. Calculating Security Prices and Yields
6. Analyzing Simulation Results
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.