Calculating an investment’s internal rate of return enables you to identify the interest rate at which the investment future cash flows have a net present value of zero. In other words, your formula tells you the discount rate at which you would break even on a given investment. If the IRR formula returns a value greater than the interest rate of risk-free investments, you should take the plunge.
- [Instructor] Calculating an investment's…internal rate of return enables you to identify…the interest rate at which the investment's future…cash flows have a net present value of zero.…In other words,…your formula tells you the discount rate…at which you would break even on a given investment.…If the IRR formula returns a value greater than…the interest rate generated by risk-free investments,…you should take the plunge.…If not, then you should probably pass on the opportunity.…In this movie I will show you…how to calculate internal rate of return.…My sample file is IRR_03_06,…which you can find in the Chapter 3 folder…of your exercise files collection.…
This workbook contains two examples of calculating IRR,…and I wanted to show the difference…that a $20,000 return would make.…If we look at the cash flows for the first investment,…we see here in cell A6 that we have initial cash flow…out of $200,000, so that's a negative $200,000.…And then for years one through four…we get $40,000,…and then in the final year, year five,…
- Analyzing loans, payments, and interest
- Calculating depreciation
- Determining values and rates of return
- Calculating bond coupon dates and security durations
- Calculating security prices and yields
- Calculating prices and yields of securities with odd periods
- Analyzing simulation results
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Analyzing Loans, Payments, and Interest
2. Calculating Depreciation
3. Determining Values and Rates of Return
4. Calculating Bond Coupon Dates and Security Durations
5. Calculating Security Prices and Yields
6. Analyzing Simulation Results
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.