One of the more conservative investment strategies available is to purchase an instrument such as a certificate of deposit or fixed-rate annuity that enables investors to trade lower risk for a relatively low, but known, rate of return. You can evaluate this type of investment using the future value, or FV, function.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Instructor] One of the more conservative…investment strategies available…is to purchase an instrument, such as…a certificate of deposit or fixed-rate annuity,…that enables investors to trade lower risk…for relatively low but known rate of return.…You can evaluate this type of investment…using the future value or FV function.…I'll demonstrate how to use that function.…My sample file is FV_03_01,…and you can find it…in the Chapter03 folder…of your exercise files collection.…
The FV function requires a number of different arguments…and those five are listed here in the worksheet.…In B3 there is the Rate, which is the percentage rate.…Next is the number of Periods,…and this is the number of years for the investment.…Next is the Payment, and payment is the amount of money…that you add every term.…In other words, you would add $10,000 each year…in this case.…Present Value is the amount you start with…at time zero or year zero.…
In this case it's $100,000.…And Payment and Present Value are both listed…as negative numbers because they are outflows…
- Analyzing loans, payments, and interest
- Calculating depreciation
- Determining values and rates of return
- Calculating bond coupon dates and security durations
- Calculating security prices and yields
- Calculating prices and yields of securities with odd periods
- Analyzing simulation results
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Analyzing Loans, Payments, and Interest
2. Calculating Depreciation
3. Determining Values and Rates of Return
4. Calculating Bond Coupon Dates and Security Durations
5. Calculating Security Prices and Yields
6. Analyzing Simulation Results
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.