There are many acceptable methods for calculating depreciation schedules, some of which are more aggressive than others. Straight line depreciation is conservative—the declining balance method is more aggressive. Sum-of-years depreciation is somewhere between the two. In this movie, I’ll show you how to use the SYD function to calculate the sum-of-years depreciation value for a given year.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Instructor] There are many exceptional methods…for calculating Depreciation schedules,…some of which are more aggressive than others.…The straight line depreciation method…is pretty conservative.…The declining balance method is more aggressive.…The sum of years depreciation method…is somewhere between the two.…In this movie, I will show you how to use the SYD Function…to calculate the sum of years deprecation value…for a given year.…As my sample file I'll use SumOfYears_02_04,…which you can find in the Chapter 2 folder…of your exercise files collection.…
This workbook contains a single worksheet,…and on it are the four arguments…that I need for the formula.…In C3 I have the Cost, which is what you pay for the item.…Salvage value is what you can get in return…when the item or object that you're buying…has reached the end of its useful life.…Cell C5 contains the number of years of that useful life,…in this case 30.…And finally you need to know the Period…for which you are calculating Depreciation.…
Let's go ahead and create the formula,…
- Analyzing loans, payments, and interest
- Calculating depreciation
- Determining values and rates of return
- Calculating bond coupon dates and security durations
- Calculating security prices and yields
- Calculating prices and yields of securities with odd periods
- Analyzing simulation results
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Analyzing Loans, Payments, and Interest
2. Calculating Depreciation
3. Determining Values and Rates of Return
4. Calculating Bond Coupon Dates and Security Durations
5. Calculating Security Prices and Yields
6. Analyzing Simulation Results
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.