Treasury bills are popular investments, as are bonds. If you want to compare a T-bill’s yield to a bond’s yield, you can do so using the TBILLEQ function. T-bills and bonds might seem like equivalent investments, but they’re not. You can compare those two types of investments by converting a T-bill yield to a bond yield using the TBILLEQ function.
- [Instructor] Treasury Bills are popular investments…as are bonds.…If you want to compare T-Bills yield to a bonds yield,…you can do so using the TBILLEQ function.…I'll demonstrate how to perform this comparison…using the BondEquivalentYield_05_07 sample file…which you can find in the chapter five folder…of your exercise files collection.…To perform the analysis,…you only need to know three things.…The first is the settlement date.…That's the date that you take possession…of this particular T-Bill.…
Next is the maturity date…and that is the date that the T-Bill ends.…And one thing to note, is that by definition,…a bill, as opposed to a bond,…has a life of less than one year.…So, what I have here are two dates.…The settlement date of May 1st…and the maturity date of December 31st of the same year.…If I were to make this maturity date 12/31/2017,…then the formula that I'm going to create…would return an error.…And finally there's the discount rate…and that is the amount of return…that you can get from a risk-free investment.…
- Analyzing loans, payments, and interest
- Calculating depreciation
- Determining values and rates of return
- Calculating bond coupon dates and security durations
- Calculating security prices and yields
- Calculating prices and yields of securities with odd periods
- Analyzing simulation results
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Analyzing Loans, Payments, and Interest
2. Calculating Depreciation
3. Determining Values and Rates of Return
4. Calculating Bond Coupon Dates and Security Durations
5. Calculating Security Prices and Yields
6. Analyzing Simulation Results
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.