When you’re offered a discounted security, you might know everything about the investment except for its annual yield. If so, you can find that yield by using the YIELDDISC function. Finding a discounted security’s yield lets you compare it to other potential investments, which helps you make sound investment decisions.
- [Instructor] When you are offered a discounted security,…you might know everything about the investment…except for its annual yield.…If so, you can find that yield…by using the YIELDDISC function.…I'll demonstrate how to perform this calculation.…I will use the DiscountedSecurityYield_05_11 workbook…which you can find in the chapter five folder…of your exercise files collection.…You need to know five pieces of information…to find the yield on a discounted security.…The first is the settlement date,…that's the date that you take possession…of the bond or other security.…
Next is the maturity date,…that's the date when the investment is paid off.…Next is the price,…that is the amount you are asked to pay…for a particular redemption value.…So in this case, you're paying $88.75…to receive $100 in return.…And finally, basis is how Excel looks at the calendar,…and I'll give you more information on that in a moment.…Let's go ahead and create our calculation.…I'll click in cell C9,…type an = sign,…and the function is YIELDDISC…
- Analyzing loans, payments, and interest
- Calculating depreciation
- Determining values and rates of return
- Calculating bond coupon dates and security durations
- Calculating security prices and yields
- Calculating prices and yields of securities with odd periods
- Analyzing simulation results
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Analyzing Loans, Payments, and Interest
2. Calculating Depreciation
3. Determining Values and Rates of Return
4. Calculating Bond Coupon Dates and Security Durations
5. Calculating Security Prices and Yields
6. Analyzing Simulation Results
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.