A coupon bond is paid on a regular schedule, either one, two, or four times a year. After you take possession of the bond, you can calculate the number of coupon payments you’ll receive from your settlement date to the bond’s maturity date. You can find that value by using the COUPNUM function. Calculating the number of coupon payments you’ll receive lets you manage your cash flow more effectively.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Voiceover] A coupon bond pays interest…on a regular schedule with payments coming…either one, two, or four times a year.…After you take possession of the bond,…you can calculate the number of coupon payments…you'll receive from your settlement date…to the bond's maturity date.…You can find that value by using…the coupon number function.…I'll show you how to use that function.…My sample file is NumberOfCoupons_04_05,…and you can find it in the chapter four folder…of the exercise files collection.…
In this case, we need to know four things…to calculate the number of coupons…over the life of the bond.…The first is the settlement date,…and that is the date that you actually take possession…of the bond.…Next is the maturity date.…That is the date the bond is set to end,…and it's the date on which interest stops accumulating…and you are then, in a couple of weeks,…returned your principal payment…as well as any interest.…Next is the coupon frequency.…
That is the number of coupon payments per year,…and that can either be annually for one,…
- Analyzing loans, payments, and interest
- Calculating depreciation
- Determining values and rates of return
- Calculating bond coupon dates and security durations
- Calculating security prices and yields
- Calculating prices and yields of securities with odd periods
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Analyzing Loans, Payments, and Interest
2. Calculating Depreciation
3. Determining Values and Rates of Return
4. Calculating Bond Coupon Dates and Security Durations
5. Calculating Security Prices and Yields
6. Calculating Prices and Yields of Securities with Odd Periods
Additional resources1m 24s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.