In this video, learn the different types of metrics you are going to encounter during your analysis. The author focuses in particular on those metrics that can be deceptive and that people call vanity metrics. Additionally, learn how to turn them into result metrics.
- [Instructor] In this video, we'll…be discussing different types…of metrics we're going to encounter during our analysis.…We'll focus in particular on those metrics…that can be deceptive and that people call vanity metrics.…Let me start with an example, Facebook likes.…For a company that has a strong social media strategy…in which Facebook is a key platform,…tracking the number of likes can be a big thing.…After all, the more likes you have…and the bigger your audience and your credibility…is, so in essence going after more likes…is a sound logic.…
The question then is, what do you do with…it once you get those likes?…If all you do on Facebook is posting content…and getting likes on your articles…and on your company page but nothing more comes out…of it, then it's a vanity metric.…It's a metric that is good for your ego,…but not for your business.…If on the contrary, you use that increased audience…in concurrence with other actions…to turn those likes into business,…then it's a result metric because…you're getting concrete results.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Evaluating marketing's business contribution
- Analyzing results vs. vanity metrics
- Extracting raw data to build dashboards
- Reducing human errors
- Analyzing marketing activities
- Linking actions to business impact
- Analyzing your account database and contacts database
- Analyzing paid ads and social media
- Using a common framework to analyze marketing activities
- Analyzing individual marketing activities over time