Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Adjusting character content with REPLACE and SUBSTITUTE, part of Excel 2011 for the Mac: Mastering Formulas and Functions.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- If you need to replace information in Excel,…there is a command called Edit, Replace,…but there also two functions, one called REPLACE…and one called SUBSTITUTE.…One is based on positioning, that's the REPLACE function,…and one is based on content, that's the SUBSTITUTE function.…As we look at the data in cells A2 to A5,…we might want to replace the fifth character…with a certain character.…The heading here says replace the fifth character with an X,…so in cell A2, the fifth character…from the left is the dash.…
We're gonna replace that with an X.…The REPLACE function gives us some options.…First of all, where are we looking?…We're looking in cell A2, that's referred to as old_text.…Comma.…Now, we can replace one or two or three or four characters,…in this case just one, with the starting number…there is five, that's the starting position.…Now, we're trying to get rid of the dash and replace it…with an X, so what we are replacing is a single character,…comma, and replacing it, in this case,…with only one other character.…
- Using absolute, relative, and mixed references
- Using the Formula Builder
- Converting formulas to values
- Creating 3D formulas to gather data from multiple sheets
- Creating and expanding the use of nested IF statements
- Looking up information with VLOOKUP, MATCH, and INDEX
- Using the power functions: COUNTIF, SUMIF, and AVERAGEIF
- Analyzing data with the statistical functions
- Calculating payment
- Performing basic math
- Determining dates and times
- Editing text with functions
- Analyzing data with arrays
Skill Level Advanced
Excel for Mac 2011 Essential Trainingwith Curt Frye6h 32m Beginner
Excel 2013: Managing and Analyzing Datawith Dennis Taylor2h 2m Intermediate
1. Formula and Function Tools
2. Formula and Function Tips and Shortcuts
3. IF and Related Functions
4. Lookup and Reference Functions
5. Statistical Functions
6. Power Functions
7. Selected Financial Functions
8. Selected Math Functions
9. Date and Time Functions
10. Text Functions
11. Array Formulas and Functions
12. Reference Functions
13. Information Functions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.