Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding a SmartArt graphic, part of Excel 2013: Working with Charts and Graphs.
- Another type of graphic that you can add is SmartArt. Think of it as interactive ClipArt. Now, charts and graphs are great, sometimes you have data that you need to display. But what about an idea, or a process, or the relationship of information? Well, you can organize that content using SmartArt, and this art is grouped into several different categories. The best part though, is as you customize it, the graphic will adapt to the content, hence the term smart. Let's explore what your options are. To add SmartArt, simply go to the INSERT tab, and look for the Illustration section.
Depending upon the height of your Ribbon, you may have to click here to open up the options. Now, what we're gonna work with is SmartArt, and when I choose this, you'll see it brings up a whole different list of styles. You could see them all at the top level view, or go into specific categories, making it easier to preview your choices. Using the arrow keys, you could step through these to see quickly some of the different choices that you have at your fingertips. Now, there are a lot of different options here, and we'll take a look at a couple of these today, but think about what you're trying to convey.
For example, are you looking to show a process, a series of step-by-step operations? Is it something that's linear, or is it a process that's more cyclical, so it's something that is repeating so it continues in a loop? Are you trying to express an organization, such as a organization chart or a break down for a department? Or are you looking to convey the relationship between additional items? You'll see here that there are choices that you can choose, and all of these are designed to make it easier to express an idea.
At the bottom here, there is a description to help you know what the graphic is officially intended for. So, if you select a graphic here, such as a Matrix, this tells you the relationship of four quadrants to a whole, and it lets you know that the first line is gonna be level one, and then everything else is going to appear in the outside. Now, it only can express four options here for a Matrix. If we go to something like a Pyramid, it tells me what's gonna happen here for each of the levels.
So if I click OK, it adds the pyramid, and that's fine, and as we continue to work and add information, you see that it starts to put that in. If I Demote something and indent it, the graphic changed. Promote that back up to a level, and it adds the third level. And as we add different information, for example I pressed the Return key, you see that it added a fourth level to the pyramid. Now, let's close this one out and we'll work with some better examples in a moment, but pretty straightforward stuff.
And that's what makes the art smart. You'll note that as you work with SmartArt, what's kind of interesting, is that it has the ability to adapt. There are also other ones available where you can integrate photos into the layout, and a lot of different choices. If you really wanted just a good overview, choose the All category, and you'll see that they're all available, but they're still grouped. Remember, selecting one will give you a general idea, and as you continue to add information to that graphic, you see that everything reflows.
If I needed to add a second line of type, you see that it adjusted the font size in all of the graphics. So, pretty interesting here, including the ability to flip the layout from Left to Right or Right to Left, and the option to even move things. So, you decide you want to move this up, just click Move Up and it reflows. Alright, let's go on to a couple of pre-built examples and we'll work with formatting these a bit more.
- Explain the steps to take to create a chart in Excel.
- Recall the options for customizing an existing chart within Excel.
- Determine which chart type fits best with a set of data.
- Summarize the process of creating a table.
- Identify strategies for clarifying a table.
- List the steps to take to add SmartArt to a project.