Oz du Soleil, author, Excel trainer, and Excel MVP, offers a brief overview of Get & Transform in Excel 2016.
- [Instructor] What is Get & Transform? It's also called Power Query. However, formally speaking, Power Query is an add-in that you'd download from Microsoft and install in Excel versions 2010 and 2013, only on Windows, not on the Mac side. Get & Transform, that is fully integrated in Excel 2016, in the Data tab, in the Get & Transform data group.
But what does it do? It gets data, it gets data from tables, other workbooks, CSV files, databases, and even web pages and Facebook. You can get data from all manner of places and bring it all together, because now we're talking about the transformation piece, when we have to merge data, split columns, reorganize data, basically turn it into something useful, and then the automation, once you've gotten the data and the transformation is right.
When you get more data, or have to make updates, you hit a refresh button, and it all happens all over again without you having to repeat all of those steps. The bottom line, Get & Transform is a tool designed specifically for cleansing data so that you can do other things with it, including analysis, forecasting, making dashboards, data visualization, segmenting marketing lists. Get & Transform makes your life easier.
AuthorOz du Soleil
- What is Get & Transform?
- Querying data
- Working with columns
- Using formulas
- Pivoting and unpivoting data
- Grouping data
- Appending a query
- Merging/combining data with joins
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Get & Transform?
2. Working with Queries
3. Working with Columns
4. Working with Formulas
5. Pivoting and Unpivoting Data
Group data2m 31s
7. Appending a Query
8. Merging Data with Joins
9. Putting It All Together and Applying Your Learning
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.