When you work with colleagues in other departments or other companies, they might not have access to Excel. If that’s the case, they might save their data to a text file. You can bring in that data using the text import wizard.
- [Instructor] When you work with colleagues…in other departments or other companies,…they might not have access to Excel.…If that's the case,…they could save their data to a text file.…You can bring in that data using the Text Import Wizard.…In this movie I will demonstrate…a couple of ways to bring text data into Excel.…I've started by opening the ImportData.csv text file…which you can find in the Chapter08 folder…of the Exercise Files collection.…In this file, you see in the top row…that I have OrderNum, Date of Purchase, and so on.…
And each of those items is separated by a comma.…If you look a couple of rows below that…for order number two,…you'll see that the total is $49,510…and there is a comma within that string.…Excel added the double quotes around those values…so that it knows that the comma should be treated as text…or part of the value and not as a separator.…I'll go ahead and close this file…by getting out of TextEdit.…
And then in the Chapter08 folder…of the Exercise Files collection…I will Control + Click ImportData.csv.…
- Creating workbooks
- Manipulating cell data
- Using core functions and formulas
- Formatting worksheet elements
- Creating PivotTables
- Collaborating with others
- Working with charts
- Adding images and shapes
- Saving workbooks
- Printing files
Skill Level Beginner
1. Get Started with Excel
2. Manage Workbooks
3. Work with Worksheets, Cells, and Cell Data
4. Sort, Filter, and Manage Worksheets
5. Summarize Data Using Formulas and Functions
6. Format Worksheet Elements
7. Work with Charts
8. Work with External Data and Objects
9. Explore PivotTables
10. Review and Share Your Spreadsheets
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.