Your calculations are only as good as the data in your worksheets. You can’t do a lot to control the data you get from outside sources, but you can help your staff enter data correctly by creating data validation rules.
- [Instructor] Your calculations are only as good…as the data in your worksheets.…You can't do a lot to control the data you get…from outside sources, but you can help…your staff enter data correctly by creating…data validation rules.…This workbook contains an Excel table…and in it I have a list of orders…and I have customer number, date, and quantity.…Let's say that I'm selling items by the case…and I never want to sell more than 250 cases…of an item to a particular customer.…
If I want to add that rule to the quantity…column of my workbook, then I can move…my mouse pointer over the column header of the table.…So note that I'm not looking at the column header…for the entire worksheet, just within the table.…I know that my mouse pointer is in the right…position when it changes to a black,…downward-pointing arrow.…So I'll click to select the entire table column.…It could also work for a single cell.…Now I will go to the data tab on the ribbon…and I will click the body of the data validation button.…
That displays the data validation dialogue box.…
- Creating workbooks
- Manipulating cell data
- Using core functions and formulas
- Formatting worksheet elements
- Creating PivotTables
- Collaborating with others
- Working with charts
- Adding images and shapes
- Saving workbooks
- Printing files
Skill Level Beginner
1. Get Started with Excel
2. Manage Workbooks
3. Work with Worksheets, Cells, and Cell Data
4. Sort, Filter, and Manage Worksheets
5. Summarize Data Using Formulas and Functions
6. Format Worksheet Elements
7. Work with Charts
8. Work with External Data and Objects
9. Explore PivotTables
10. Review and Share Your Spreadsheets
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.