Learn how an object-relational mapper is a tool used to manage/convert database data from an object-oriented programming perspective relating database tables with classes and database fields with properties. This eliminates the need to write a lot of tedious code annually. Understanding this sets the stage for you to better consume upcoming course content.
- [Instructor] Now before discussing entity framework,…let's step back a bit and talk about…databases and object relational mappers, ORMs.…Now ideally you're already familiar with databases,…which has schemas and tables, queries,…they conduct reports, views, et cetera.…Now to improve the way that we work with database content,…object-relational mapping software was created.…It's also sometimes referred to as object-relational mappers…and they're essentially a tool that's used to manage…and convert database data from an object-oriented…programming perspective.…
So in other worlds, database tables can be treated…as classes and their fields can be treated as properties.…And this ultimately eliminates the need to write…a lot of tedious code.…Now Microsoft's answer to object-relational mapping software…is Entity Framework.…And they define Entity Framework as an object-relational…mapping framework that enables developers…to work with relational data as domain-specific objects,…eliminating the need for most of the data access…
- Entity Framework (EF) overview
- Uses for EF
- Installing EF
- Creating entities
- Creating the DbContext
- Performing migrations
- Creating an MVC application
- Installing EF packages
- Reverse engineering the model
- Performing context and dependency injection
- Creating the controller and the view
- Using SqlServerTypeMapper
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 06/23/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: using the exercise files; Mac install prerequisites; Entity Framework on Mac, part 1; and Entity Framework on Mac, part 2.