Learn about some of the benefits of using Entity Framework and object-relational mapping, including a huge reduction in code, changes to the object model made in one place, rich query capability, concurrency support, cache management, and transaction management and isolation.
- [Instructor] So there's a lot of benefits…to using Entity Framework and ORMs in general.…The first that I had mentioned was the reduction of code,…the less likelihood…that you need to write a lot of tedious code.…And these tools provide a host of services…that allow developers to focus more on the business logic…of the application rather than repetitive CRUD operations,…for example, creating, reading, update, deleting,…that type of logic.…So besides the reduction of code…I also listed nine other benefits.…
The next is it facilitates implementing…the Domain Model pattern.…So, one of the most important reasons ORMs even exist is…that your model entities…can be based more on real business concepts…rather than based on your database structure.…So you can use terms like movie or person…that reflect the real world…so it makes it a little bit easier to digest…when you are working through business logic.…ORM tools provide the functionality, through mapping,…between the logical business model and the physical storage…
- Entity Framework (EF) overview
- Uses for EF
- Installing EF
- Creating entities
- Creating the DbContext
- Performing migrations
- Creating an MVC application
- Installing EF packages
- Reverse engineering the model
- Performing context and dependency injection
- Creating the controller and the view
- Using SqlServerTypeMapper
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 06/23/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: using the exercise files; Mac install prerequisites; Entity Framework on Mac, part 1; and Entity Framework on Mac, part 2.