Join Drew Boyd for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating the brand book, part of Branding Foundations.
- One of the most important steps in the brand-building process is to create a Brand Book. Just as the name implies, the Brand Book is the complete story of the brand and all the elements that go into it. It establishes strict guidelines on every aspect of how a company's brand will be managed. This affects everything, from how the logo can be used, the look of your website, how social media is used, advertising, product design, and so on. A basic Brand Book should include: An overview of brand values, the core promise, the drivers, and persona.
Logo specifications and examples of how to use it. Logo lockups for different uses. The color palette. Font styles. Typography. Image and photography guidelines. And, writing style and the tone of voice. Now, a good Brand Book is a reference document to help employees and your marketing agencies execute the brand properly. That's why it's sometimes called "a style guide".
You might also include things like: Brochure guidelines. Specifications for signage and outdoor advertising. Design layouts for prints and web-based projects. Your store design. Social media guidelines. Even your letterhead and business card design. Now, be sure to include visual or written examples of each of these. The more detailed information you include in the Brand Book, the more helpful it'll be to make sure the brand is managed consistently.
While these guidelines are important, a great Brand Book goes even further. It could be used to train your entire team. It could help employees understand the brand's essence. It could be created in a way that inspires people to believe in the brand. It might include stories about the brand, and how it's served its customers. It could outline brand goals, and how it links to the company's overall strategy. A Brand Book can help employees know what it means to live the brand day in and day out.
Great branding is about making and keeping promises in a consistent way. A Brand Book is an essential tool to help you do just that.
- Identifying your core values and drivers
- Linking your business model to the brand
- Identifying customers
- Developing your brand promise
- Expressing brand identity
- Creating a brand book
- Expressing brand in social channels, through advertising, and in packaging
- Measuring brand performance