Join Robert Smallwood for an in-depth discussion in this video Definition , part of Learning Information Governance.
- [Voiceover] What is the definition…of information governance?…The definition of IG has been muddied,…but I'll give you a clear, succinct definition…of information governance.…Industry trade groups and pundits…have made the definition of IG more complicated…than it should be, but I'll clarify…and simplify it for you here.…IG is security, control, and optimization of information.…That's a tight definition anyone can remember.…We'll expound on that definition…a bit to provide you more insight.…IG focuses on getting the most out of information…at the least cost while keeping it secure.…
It's about minimizing information risks…and costs while maximizing its value.…Information governance is control of information…to meet legal, regulatory, risk, and business demands.…That means, information is controlled…to adhere to legal guidelines, such as…the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.…It also means that regulatory requirements…for keeping and producing business records are met.…It further means that business risk…and security considerations and an organization's…
Information governance (IG) helps organizations minimize information risks and costs while maximizing its value. IG is about security, control, and optimization of information. Learn the basic tenets of the emerging field of IG, beginning with definitions and concepts. Robert Smallwood explains the basics of IG and identifies key areas where an IG program will make a difference. He shares proven strategies, methods, and best practices for ensuring the ongoing success of your IG program.
- The definition of information governance
- The principles and best practices of information governance
- Why invest in information governance?
- The three-part IG framework
- Policies for email, social media, mobile, and cloud computing