Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Using layer masks, part of Photoshop Elements 9 Essential Training.
One of the new features in Elements 9. 0 that everyone is excited about is the…ability to add a layer mask to a layer.…layer masks have been available in Adobe Photoshop for a while now, but in…Elements, until this version of the program, the only way to add a layer mask…was through a convoluted workaround.…Now, you can add a layer mask directly to a layer and use that layer mask to…non-destructively hide and show different parts of the layer.…To show you what a layer mask gives and how to use one, I have this gorgeous…photograph of fall scenery in New Mexico by photographer John Lorenz.…
If you look at the layers panel, you can see that, that photograph is one the…top layer, the trees layer, and that I have another layer below which is…currently hidden that's filled with orange.…If I make the trees layer temporarily invisible by clicking its eye icon, you…can see that orange layer below.…I will make the trees layer visible again.…Now what I would like to do is add a layer mask to the trees layer that will…
- Downloading files from a digital camera
- Importing photos into an Elements catalog
- Applying keyword tags
- Organizing photos into albums and Smart Albums
- Automatically adjusting photos in Quick Fix
- Walking through Guided Edit photo techniques
- Understanding photo resizing and resolution
- Cropping and straightening photos
- Making and refining selections
- Correcting photos in the Full Edit workspace
- Applying image sharpening
- Adding text and special effects
- Creating photo projects, such as greeting cards and calendars
Skill Level Beginner
1. Importing Files to the Organizer
2. Working with the Organizer
3. Organizing and Finding Photos
4. Viewing Photos
5. Using Quick Fix and Photo Fix
6. Working in Guided Edit
7. Full Edit Basics
8. Working with Layers
9. Making Selections
10. Correcting Photos
11. Touching Up Photos
12. Adding Special Effects
13. Adding Text
14. Creating Photo Projects
15. Printing and Sharing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.