Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding layers, part of Photoshop Elements 9 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
If you ask me to pick the most important feature in the Full Edit workspace, I…would have to say that's layers.…layers give me the freedom to work independently on one piece of content without…disturbing the rest of the image.…You might think of layers like panes of transparent glass stacked one on top of the other.…Where there is no content on a particular pane of glass, you can see down…through that pane to the content on the panes of glass below and layers work the same way.…Let's take a look at the layers in this simple composite image.…
If you turn your attention to the layers panel over here, and if your layers…panel isn't open, go up to the Window menu and down to layers to open it.…The layers panel is like command central for layers.…Each layer in a file is represented by a bar here in the layers panel.…To the left of each bar there is an eye icon.…When I turn the eye icon next to a layer off, it temporarily hides that layer from view.…I'm going to turn off all the layers in this file, except for the Background…
- Downloading files from a digital camera
- Importing photos into an Elements catalog
- Applying keyword tags
- Organizing photos into albums and Smart Albums
- Automatically adjusting photos in Quick Fix
- Walking through Guided Edit photo techniques
- Understanding photo resizing and resolution
- Cropping and straightening photos
- Making and refining selections
- Correcting photos in the Full Edit workspace
- Applying image sharpening
- Adding text and special effects
- Creating photo projects, such as greeting cards and calendars
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop Elements 9: Scanning and Restoring Photoswith Janine Smith2h 38m Intermediate
1. Importing Files to the Organizer
2. Working with the Organizer
3. Organizing and Finding Photos
4. Viewing Photos
5. Using Quick Fix and Photo Fix
6. Working in Guided Edit
7. Full Edit Basics
8. Working with Layers
9. Making Selections
10. Correcting Photos
11. Touching Up Photos
12. Adding Special Effects
13. Adding Text
14. Creating Photo Projects
15. Printing and Sharing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.