Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Selection basics, part of Photoshop Elements 9 Essential Training.
Oftentimes you're going to want to work on an isolated area of an image without…affecting the rest of the image.…And that's where selections come into play.…To show you what selections are, I'll make a simple selection using one of the…many selection tools in Elements 9.…I'm going to use the Rectangular Marquee tool from here in the toolbar.…This tool is use to make rectangular and square-shaped selections.…I'll come into the image and I'll click at one corner of this area and I'll drag…diagonally down to the other corner.…And then I'll release my mouse to create the selection boundary.…
The animated dashed lines that define a selection boundary are called Marching Ants.…Now whatever I do to the image is going to affect only the area inside the selection.…For example, I happen to have Purple as my foreground color and if I paint with…Purple the paint will land only in the selected area.…I could use the regular Brush tool for that purpose, or the Color Replacement…tool, which is basically the brush tool with a different blending mode.…
- Downloading files from a digital camera
- Importing photos into an Elements catalog
- Applying keyword tags
- Organizing photos into albums and Smart Albums
- Automatically adjusting photos in Quick Fix
- Walking through Guided Edit photo techniques
- Understanding photo resizing and resolution
- Cropping and straightening photos
- Making and refining selections
- Correcting photos in the Full Edit workspace
- Applying image sharpening
- Adding text and special effects
- Creating photo projects, such as greeting cards and calendars
Skill Level Beginner
1. Importing Files to the Organizer
2. Working with the Organizer
3. Organizing and Finding Photos
4. Viewing Photos
5. Using Quick Fix and Photo Fix
6. Working in Guided Edit
7. Full Edit Basics
8. Working with Layers
9. Making Selections
10. Correcting Photos
11. Touching Up Photos
12. Adding Special Effects
13. Adding Text
14. Creating Photo Projects
15. Printing and Sharing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.