Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Automatic selection tools, part of Photoshop Elements 9 Essential Training.
Often the quickest way to select an object is based on its color and tone.…There are several tools in Elements 9 Full Edit workspace that do that for you automatically.…My favorite of those is the Quick Selection tool which is located here in the toolbar.…With this tool, I can click in the image and drag and the Quick Selection…tool moves ahead of me finding other pixels of similar tone and color and…selecting those and it's smart enough to be able to see where there's an edge to the object.…
It's looking for areas of high contrast.…By default, this tool will add to a selection.…So after I make my initial selection, if I see some areas that I missed like…this area right here, I can click and drag over it.…Here is another area right up here.…Now this tool seems to work better with a small brush tip.…So I am going to make my brush tip smaller by pressing the Left Bracket key on…my keyboard and then I'll move over these areas and add them to the selection as well.…
If the tool selects something that I don't want to include in the selection, I…
- Downloading files from a digital camera
- Importing photos into an Elements catalog
- Applying keyword tags
- Organizing photos into albums and Smart Albums
- Automatically adjusting photos in Quick Fix
- Walking through Guided Edit photo techniques
- Understanding photo resizing and resolution
- Cropping and straightening photos
- Making and refining selections
- Correcting photos in the Full Edit workspace
- Applying image sharpening
- Adding text and special effects
- Creating photo projects, such as greeting cards and calendars
Skill Level Beginner
1. Importing Files to the Organizer
2. Working with the Organizer
3. Organizing and Finding Photos
4. Viewing Photos
5. Using Quick Fix and Photo Fix
6. Working in Guided Edit
7. Full Edit Basics
8. Working with Layers
9. Making Selections
10. Correcting Photos
11. Touching Up Photos
12. Adding Special Effects
13. Adding Text
14. Creating Photo Projects
15. Printing and Sharing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.