Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Applying Shadow/Highlight adjustments, part of Photoshop Elements 9 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
I think one of the most useful adjustments in the Elements 9 Full Edit workspace…is the Shadow/Highlights adjustment.…It's really useful in a situation like this, where I need to treat the Shadows…and the Highlights separately.…I'd like to open up the Shadows and bring down the Highlights to see some of…the detail in both.…To open this adjustment, I'll go to the Enhance menu at the top of the screen…and I'll choose Adjust Lighting and from there Shadows/Highlights.…In the Shadows/Highlights dialog box, there are three simple sliders, one for…lightening shadows, one for darkening highlights, and then a third slider for…adjusting the contrast of the midtones, the tones in between the brightest and…darkest in the image.…
When this dialog box opens, it automatically sets the Lighten Shadows slider to…a 25% increase and you can already see a difference in the image.…The dark foreground is lighter.…To remind you of how this looked a second ago, I'll uncheck the Preview check box.…So there is the original photo and here it is with just the default settings in…
- Downloading files from a digital camera
- Importing photos into an Elements catalog
- Applying keyword tags
- Organizing photos into albums and Smart Albums
- Automatically adjusting photos in Quick Fix
- Walking through Guided Edit photo techniques
- Understanding photo resizing and resolution
- Cropping and straightening photos
- Making and refining selections
- Correcting photos in the Full Edit workspace
- Applying image sharpening
- Adding text and special effects
- Creating photo projects, such as greeting cards and calendars
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop Elements 9: Scanning and Restoring Photoswith Janine Smith2h 38m Intermediate
1. Importing Files to the Organizer
2. Working with the Organizer
3. Organizing and Finding Photos
4. Viewing Photos
5. Using Quick Fix and Photo Fix
6. Working in Guided Edit
7. Full Edit Basics
8. Working with Layers
9. Making Selections
10. Correcting Photos
11. Touching Up Photos
12. Adding Special Effects
13. Adding Text
14. Creating Photo Projects
15. Printing and Sharing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.