Join Sean Colins for an in-depth discussion in this video Prerequisites, part of iPads in Education: Deploying 1:1 iPads.
- There really are no prerequisites for learning with this course. You do not need to purchase an iPad. You do not need to sign up for a mobile device management service with Meraki. You do not need to purchase a mobile device management server. You don't even need to sign up for an Apple customer number or register for the Device Enrollment Program or Volume Purchase Program. All of those things would, of course, be useful to you if you wish to follow along and do the things that I will do in this course while you're watching, but you don't need to actually do what I do in order to learn something from watching this course.
If you wish to follow along and do as I do while watching then you will need the following: You will need to watch the movie on setting up an Apple education account, Contact Apple, set up that account and get your Apple customer number. You'll also need to apply for and receive your Device Enrollment Program credentials as well as your Volume Purchase Program account. You'll also need to sign up online for a Meraki systems manager account. You'll need these things to follow along and I show you at least how to get started with each of those applications here in the course.
If you follow along and find that you need to pause for a few weeks while Apple sets up a DEP account for you, don't worry, that is completely normal and to be expected. During this course, I will tell when an administrative process may be time-consuming so you know what to expect and don't overly frustrated with the process. I want to reiterate that there is no prerequisite required for simply watching this title and I highly recommend that you watch this title once straight through just to get a general understanding and then watch it a second or third time after setting up the necessary account so you can follow along.
If you wish, you may simply press the play button on the entire course to watch the whole thing all the way through. Doing so will start your thought process in the right direction so you can create your own plan for the architecture of your network, your decisions about purchasing devices and your decisions about how you will manage those devices. What you will learn about the process, by simply watching these videos, will be extremely valuable to you in creating your iPad 1:1 deployment program.
- Getting funding for your classroom technology
- Setting up an Apple Education account
- Choosing an iPad model
- Enrolling in Apple programs
- Planning a Wi-Fi network
- Setting up mobile device management (MDM)
- Getting free and paid apps
- Configuring MDM profiles
- Exploring 1:1 deployment alternatives