Mastery Learning is a growing trend in schools. In Mastery Learning the focus of the assessment and student feedback is with regards to whether students are proficient on particular standards or benchmarks. In Canvas, you are able to create course outcomes that can help to measure levels of student mastery. You can also activate the Mastery Learning gradebook which will track student progress on any course outcomes that you attach to the course.
- [Voiceover] In this video I wanna introduce…the mastery learning gradebook inside of Canvas.…Now if you're a school or district…that uses mastery learning or proficiency-based learning…you should be happy to know that Canvas…has invested a lot of time and effort…into their mastery learning gradebook.…Now in order to access it…what I first need to do is within my course…in the course navigation…go down to settings,…up at the top we wanna go all the way to the right…at feature options…and we wanna turn on the learning mastery gradebook…and for students, the student learning mastery gradebook.…
Now after this the changes will be automatically saved…and I can navigate back over to the course navigation bar…and click on grades.…This brings up my normal gradebook,…everything looks the same,…but at the top I notice here that I have grades…and then I have learning mastery.…If I click on learning mastery…what it does is it ties this directly to the outcomes…that we've created in the previous video.…So in other words, we have a learning outcome…
- Setting up a teacher account and profile
- Creating the course and syllabus
- Adding a grading scheme
- Creating student groups
- Using group discussions
- Creating assignments and quizzes
- Building test question banks
- Exploring the grading tools (including SpeedGrader)
- Working with modules
- Publishing a course
Skill Level Beginner
1. Get Started with Canvas 2016
Create a teacher account1m 2s
2. Create a Course
3. Create Student Groups
4. Add Assignments and Quizzes
5. Explore the Grading Tools
6. Course Management Tools
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.