When creating groups, you will also have the option to manually enter students. On most platforms, this is a difficult and tedious task, but on Canvas, the process is simple. Once you have created groups, a class roster appears, allowing you to easily drag students into the group that you would like to assign them to. Utilizing groups is a great way to help students develop important communication and collaboration skills.
- [Voiceover] In the previous video,…we created groups by having Canvas…randomly assign students to groups.…In this video,…we want to take a look at how we can manually…enter students into a group once we've created them.…So, since I deleted my groups,…I first need to add a group set.…From here, the pop-up box will appear,…and I'm going to name this group set Debate,…I am not going to allow self sign-up,…and I'm going to leave a check where it says…I'll create groups manually.…I'll click save,…and as you can see,…this Debate group set pops up.…
Now, in the main section there are no groups yet created,…and on the left-hand side,…we can see that a list of all students in the course…has been added,…so what I need to first do is to create some groups…within this group set.…I'll go to the upper right,…and click on the gray box,…which says plus group,…and I'm gonna name my first group,…which I'll name Debate One.…We can click here if we want to limit the groups…to a certain number of members.…In this case,…I'm manually entering them, however,…
- Setting up a teacher account and profile
- Creating the course and syllabus
- Adding a grading scheme
- Creating student groups
- Using group discussions
- Creating assignments and quizzes
- Building test question banks
- Exploring the grading tools (including SpeedGrader)
- Working with modules
- Publishing a course
Skill Level Beginner
1. Get Started with Canvas 2016
Create a teacher account1m 2s
2. Create a Course
3. Create Student Groups
4. Add Assignments and Quizzes
5. Explore the Grading Tools
6. Course Management Tools
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.