Before you begin creating your first course in the Canvas learning management system, it is a good idea to customize your account settings. This inlcudes customizing your notifications for hte course. It is important to determine what activities you would like to be notified of, and how you would like to receive these messages. Taking some time up-front to take care of this can help you to improve communication and keep up-to-date with our course.
- [Voiceover] Now that we've set up our Canvas profile,…in this video, we'll take a look at how to adjust…our settings and notifications.…Now on our profile,…remember that there was a section titled Contact.…And here it said that in order to add ways…for students to contact us,…we could go to the Settings page.…I'll click here to go the Settings page.…I could also click on the left hand side, under Settings.…Now this brings us to our Settings page.…And the first we want to take a look at…is that our full name is there and spelled correctly.…
We have our display name, which is the name…that people will see…in discussions, messages, and comments.…Below this is our sortable name, which typically…is your last name comma first name.…If your school wants to do it differently,…they will notify you of that.…And then you can set your language and time zone.…And I've already done this,…so I'm going to move on from there.…Now on the right hand side, we have ways…that students can contact us.…I currently have my firstname.lastname@example.org…
- Setting up a teacher account and profile
- Creating the course and syllabus
- Adding a grading scheme
- Creating student groups
- Using group discussions
- Creating assignments and quizzes
- Building test question banks
- Exploring the grading tools (including SpeedGrader)
- Working with modules
- Publishing a course
Skill Level Beginner
1. Get Started with Canvas 2016
Create a teacher account1m 2s
2. Create a Course
3. Create Student Groups
4. Add Assignments and Quizzes
5. Explore the Grading Tools
6. Course Management Tools
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.