Join Aaron Quigley for an in-depth discussion in this video Building a culture of learning, part of Teaching with Lynda.com.
- We'd like you to pause for a moment and reflect on what you're accomplishing by watching this course. You are exploring new ways to serve your students. - You're also hopefully learning some new technologies and ideas that can help you be a better teacher. - Ultimately, you're acting as a self-motivated learner, and that is exactly the mentality you want to impart to your students. - Now, being successful in today's workforce means being a lifelong learner. Technology is always changing. The tools we use to conduct business, to communicate, and even to stay organized, are rapidly developing.
Your goal is to cultivate learners who can recognize gaps in their own knowledge, and then find the right resource to get the learning they will need that will make them successful. - When you do that, you are creating a culture of learning that helps your students not only be successful in your course, but also through the rest of their lives. - Now, creating cultures of learning is not something that's gonna happen overnight, and we could spend hours diving into nuances and strategies to make this happen. - However, there are a few things you can do to have some quick wins in this area, and we'll identify a few tips and tricks to help you get moving in the right direction.
- First, communicate to students that you will not be providing all the answers, rather, providing them with resources. Too often I see teachers deliver all of the learning materials and then you miss out on the opportunity to model how to find answers independently. A great way to do this is to make a list of all the skills needed and taught in your class, and then search lynda.com for content that aligns to those resources. - Making this list available to your students is like giving them a roadmap for how to navigate your class. It provides students with a new resource for getting their questions answered outside of just asking you.
- This is especially helpful for students that need some remedial teaching on prerequisite skills, or need more time mastering a learning objective. - Second, be sure to provide time for self-directed learning. There are a lot of ways to accomplish this, but a few things to consider adding into your class are: 80/20 time, project-based learning, and student-driven assessment. 80/20 time is structuring all of your core learning to only fill about 80% of the instructional time, leaving 20% of that time for students to take on independent learning projects that they choose themselves.
- Now, project-based learning is having students take ownership of the learning process by solving a problem that contextualizes the learning. As an educator, your role in project-based learning is simply to guide the students as they work towards finding the solution. - Finally, student-driven assessments are a fun way to allow students to showcase their learning in a way that plays to their strengths. You can accomplish this by simply giving your students choices for their final, whether that's writing a paper, presenting a PowerPoint, creating a website, or even writing a play. Not only will students be more motivated to showcase their learning, they'll also be building skill-sets that align to their interests.
- These are quick overviews of several instructional strategies, and if you'd like to explore these ideas further, please check out these courses. These courses are also included in the custom playlist for this course.
Use the knowledge checks and Lynda.com's built-in note-taking tool to practice what you've learned and remember ideas for your own teaching practice.
- Finding courses in the Lynda.com library
- Refreshing student skills
- Extending learning with a flipped classroom
- Supplementing Lynda.com training with your own videos
- Increasing digital skills
- Mapping curriculum to skills
- Creating learning playlists
- Assessing student learning
- Adding Lynda.com content to Canvas and Moodle